While your cell phone is great for sending photos to friends and making quick, everyday phone calls, there are a number of reasons why you should also own a two-way radio. These types of radios are essential in the case of a large-scale emergency, and they also enable you to get in contact with family or medical personnel if phone lines go down. Here are just a few things that walkie-talkies do better than cell phones.
- Walkie-talkies are much more durable than most modern cell phones. Many types of walkie-talkies are waterproof and resistant to dropping or sinking, and they even float if they fall into deep water.
- Walkie-talkies are much more affordable than cell phones, and they don't require monthly plans to use. This means that all it takes to operate a walkie-talkie is a one-time purchase.
- Walkie-talkies provide instant communication by simply holding down a button. Unlike cell phones, which require you to dial a number and wait for the other party to answer their phone, these types of radios can instantly put you in contact with another person.
- Walkie-talkies don't require phone lines to use. This is invaluable in the case of a widespread emergency, because phone lines often become so congested that they go down completely. In the case of a natural disaster, robbery, fire or some other type of emergency, a walkie-talkie is your best bet for getting in touch with emergency services and family members.
- Walkie-talkies are much easier to use, especially for children and the elderly. If you have family members who don't have cell phones, make sure that they know how to use a walkie-talkie in case of an emergency. In most cases, this simply means pressing one single button and speaking into the device.