We got a comment on our Facebook page the other day that really got us thinking. The post was simple enough… One of our fans was asking what sort of two-way radios she and her husband should get in case of an emergency.
She also mentioned the term “Doomsday Preppers.” While preparing for “Doomsday” might seem like something out of the Cold War, it’s never a bad idea to have an emergency plan in place.
- If you end up having to stay put for a long period of time, you should have the survival basics on hand: Fire, light, water, food, and some sort of defensive tool.
- It’s a good idea to have a few weeks’ worth of water. The best way to store your water is in glass cooler jugs. They won’t degrade over time, and they’ll keep the water from getting contaminated.
- A good food supply is also crucial. Instant rice, canned beans, and some spices are your best bet. They don’t take a lot of energy to cook, and beans provide you with protein.
- If possible, keep some vitamins on hand—as well as protein powder, instant milk, noodles, and some canned fruits and veggies.
- A good First Aid kit will ensure that you can handle any minor injuries.
And, of course, the right two-way radios can help you stay in contact with your loved ones in the event of some sort of catastrophic emergency.