What does the FCC do?

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is an independent government agency charged with managing public use of the radio spectrum. As it applies to two-way radios, the FCC allocates certain bands of frequencies to particular types of users and regulates the equipment that may be used to transmit and receive radio communications. This licensing will be in effect 2014 and beyond. Widely used two-way radio service bands are FRS (Family Radio Service), GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service), BRS (Business Radio Service), and MURS (Multi-use Radio Service).

Several types of our radios require no FCC license. Here is our selection - Radios that DO NOT require an FCC license.

The GMRS and BRS radio service bands require a license granted by the FCC. To get more information or apply online visit their website FCC online.

Fees for FCC licenses for GMRS and BRS are one of the reasons that, while required, more than 90 percent of users do not register their radios with the FCC. Fees vary widely depending on the number of frequencies, location, use of repeaters, and so on. It is typically best to request your rate from the FCC based on your particular radio usage needs.

Related Articles
Navigating Tricky Radio Communication Waters without an FCC License
Obtaining a Two Way Radio FCC License